Summit Drive Church is a diverse, community-minded congregation who feel called to glorify God by developing caring, passionate followers of Jesus Christ. We believe that God is on mission and calling his people to join him on mission within our city and beyond. Summit Drive Church is in the beautiful city of Kamloops, British Columbia, where it was planted in 1981 and is associated with the North American Baptist Conference. Summit Drive Church is a mid-sized congregation with Sunday attendance (prior to Covid) ranging between 450 and 675 (with three services), and approximately 1000 people who call Summit Drive Church their home church.
The Pastor of Student Ministries is a person with strong pastoral giftedness, with growing leadership and communication skills. The Pastor of Student Ministries will have a deep desire to see Sr. Youth and Young Adults come into a vibrant relationship with Jesus Christ and will nurture students and their families as they grow as His followers. They will also have a deep seeded conviction that the local church is God’s primary vehicle for God’s saving work in the world and a commitment to doing church “as a team.”
Reporting to the Lead Pastor, the Pastor of Student Ministries is responsible for the overall leadership and direction of ministry to Sr. Youth and Young Adults, and oversight of the Coordinator of Jr. Youth ministries.
This candidate must be a mature follower of Jesus who is dedicated to the ministry of the local church, open and teachable, and must work well in a team setting. This candidate will require a Bachelor Degree (preferably in Religious Studies, Education or related fields), and preferably a Master of Divinity or related graduate theological degree, and have experience serving in a local church setting as a volunteer.
- Provide leadership, teaching to the youth and young adult events as the weekly context for building passionate, caring followers of Jesus Christ
- Build healthy relationships with the parents of youth age children, and encourage them as the primary disciple-makers
- Recruit, train, and nurture the spiritual development of the youth and young adult leadership teams
- Encourage and support Campus Ministries in High Schools and the University as needed
- Perform pastoral functions as required – i.e., weddings, funerals, pastoral care to students and families
- Oversee Jr. Youth Coordinator and ensure vibrant ministry to Jr. Youth
- Serves as a member of the pastoral team
- Preach and teaches within the church body as required (Approx. every 5-6 weeks, but may vary based on needs etc.)
- Participate appropriately within denominational networks
- Serve the community through occasional pastoral involvements, in accordance with the church goals and strategies
- Be involved with other church ministries as needed (Church Camp, outreach events, mission trips etc.)
- Maintain the appropriate child-protection protocols within the youth ministry
Thank you for taking the time to prayerfully consider this role. To apply, please send a current resume, cover letter and list of work-related references to our Lead Pastor, David Fields: firstname.lastname@example.org