Summit Drive Church is a diverse, community-minded congregation who feel called to glorify God by developing caring, passionate followers of Jesus Christ. We believe that God is on mission and calling his people to join him on mission within our city and beyond. Summit Drive Church is located in the beautiful city of Kamloops, British Columbia, where it was planted in 1981 and is associated with the North American Baptist Conference. Summit Drive Church is a mid-sized congregation with Sunday attendance (prior to Covid) ranging between 450 and 675 (with three services), and approximately 1000 people who call Summit Drive Church their home church.
The Pastor of Community Life is a person with strong pastoral giftedness, proven leadership, and communication skills. The Pastor of Community Life will work alongside other Pastors and support the Lead Pastor in shepherding the Summit Drive church body. The Pastor of Community Life will have a deep seeded conviction that the local church is God’s primary vehicle for God’s saving work in the world, and have a commitment to doing church “as a team.”
This candidate must be a mature follower of Jesus who is dedicated to the ministry of the local church, open and teachable, and must work well in a team setting. This candidate must have a bachelor’s degree (preferably in Religious Studies, Education, or related fields), and preferably a Master of Divinity or related graduate theological degree as well as 5 years fulltime (or equivalent) working experience in a church setting.
- Pastoral Ministry
- Serves as a member of the pastoral team
- Preaches and teaches within the church body as required (Approx. every 4-6 weeks but may vary based on needs etc.)
- Perform pastoral functions as required – i.e. weddings, funerals, pastoral counseling
- Oversees specific ministries in line with the Pastor’s giftedness (i.e. Alpha Ministry, Life Groups, Family Ministry, Community Engagement).
- Participate appropriately within denominational networks
- Serve the community through occasional pastoral involvements, in accordance with the church goals and strategies
- Oversees and is involved with other church ministries as needed
- Works with the Lead Pastor and the pastoral team to implement vision through giving sustained and systematic attention to strategic ministry objectives, church-wide ministry mapping and planning, the development and implementation of processes for effective ministry evaluation and regular reports on progress as well as recommendations for next steps
- Assist the Lead Pastor in strategic planning, annual updates and implementation of the Ministry and Services Plan
- Serve as coordinator, resource person and advisor to the committees and/or ministry teams of the Church as a delegate of the Lead Pastor
- Serve as staff liaison to a number of standing and sub-committees of the Board
- Handles difficulties and emergencies effectively and spiritually with commitment to conflict resolution
- Proactively and strategically plan, recruit, train and equip leaders for future ministry opportunities, maximize the giftedness of each person, personally coach, mentor and mobilize staff and volunteers to reach their highest potential
Thank you for taking the time to prayerfully consider this role. To apply, please send a current resume, cover letter and list of work-related references to our Lead Pastor, David Fields: firstname.lastname@example.org. Since this role requires a teaching/preaching function, please send a copy or link of a recent sermon from a church setting. If a candidate is selected for a follow up interview, we will request a brief (2-3 pages total) testimony, description of your call to pastoral ministry, and philosophy of ministry.